I'm actually showing you 99% of the dress! The other 1% is covered by the lace collar of my tunic. Hehe. :D I'm so proud of myself for not layering the crap out of this. I wanted to do it soooo much, too. These dress challenges are really hard for me, because..well.. alright. I'll try to explain. Bear with me!
First off, I'm used to having choices. When I go to my closet, the sky's the limit. With this challenge though, I HAVE to wear a dress. So, there are so many other pieces in my closet that I can't even think about touching. That's tough! Second, when I pick out something to wear, I don't normally go for a dress. 9 out of 10 times, I'll pick pants or a skirt first. So, I'm forced to use a dress as my canvas.
Finally, I feel like wearing a dress by itself is BORING. This only applies to myself, mind you! I envy women that can wear a dress and some shoes and make the outfit look interesting. I just feel naked in a dress and shoes. Haha. I HAVE to screw with it by adding a sweater, or layering a skirt over it, or wearing something underneath it, or whatever. By the time I get through with a dress, it would be hard for someone to look at the outfit and see that I had a dress on. Why do I do this? I think it's because I don't like wearing dresses all that much. They make me feel too.....feminine. Vulnerable. I dunno.
If a dress has a kickass/complex color scheme or patterns, I think I would do it an injustice by covering it up. The need to layer comes into play when I have a dress that is a plain, solid color. It really is like a blank canvas in my mind. I would feel like I was walking around with a blank page showing it to everyone and saying, "Hey! Look at this blank page! Isn't it awesome?!" Haha. No. It's not. It's boring.
So, I want you to know that I am going to try to be simple with these challenges and not do anything crazy. Haha. I can't make any promises other than that I will try my best to show 90% of the dress. :P
OK. I just had to put all that out there. Haha. Right, so...what am I wearing? Well, I thrifted this nautical themed dress and you've seen the striped tunic already. Click here to see how I styled the tunic in the past. I like this dress quite a bit. It's hard to tell from the photos, but the buttons have an anchor pattern engraved into them. :D I added some over-the-knee mock sock tights from ASOS along with my favorite braided satchel and black lace ankle boots from UrbanOG. I think they paired nicely!
I loooooove these ASOS tights, you guys. They will go with everything! I typically will wear leg warmers and over-the-knee socks with tights, so I couldn't wait to get these, because they combine both pieces into a single garment! So, it's less bulky and it just looks cleaner, IMO. They were only $13, so I could afford to buy two pairs (I typically buy two of something I really love and I wasn't sure how sturdy these would be), and I got free shipping! Yippee! :D I did a review about ASOS here, if you're curious.
I took these photos just before going out for Sunday brunch. We had a tiring Saturday as we ended up staying awake until after 3 AM, so we woke up super late at 1 PM. Most of our favorite brunch spots closed around 2 PM, so we headed over to one place that we thought would be open until 5 PM.
When we got there, we ran into some good friends and ended up talking with them for 20 minutes at the entrance. When we finally went inside, we were told the kitchen closed at 3 PM and it was 3:10 PM. Hahaha. ARG! We were dying of hunger at this point when I remembered that there was a kick ass bubble tea joint not far from there. So, that's where we ended up. Everything works out eventually! :P
After lunch, we headed to one of our favorite java joints, picked a prime window seat and vegged out. We put on a delicious red lentil curry before we left the house, so by the time we got home, dinner was ready. I love slow cookers. I really, really do. Haha. :D Click here for the recipe, if you're interested!
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! <3
Thrifted - ModCloth Navy Dress (Swap Group), ModCloth Striped
Tunic (Sale) & ModCloth Braided Satchel (Sale)
TIL Darling - Gold Studded Wrap Watch & Backpack
ASOS - Over-The-Knee Mock Sock Tights
UrbanOG - Lace Inset Ankle Boots